Why don’t you try? : Find equipment to help with mobility
If you or someone you know has difficulty walking or getting around (mobility), a wheelchair, scooter or walking aid might help.
You can use a walking stick to give you extra support and help you balance. It can give you confidence and make walking less painful.
Walking frames (Zimmer frames or rollators)
A walking frame gives you more support than walking sticks. You can use them to get around your home or to get out and about.
You can use a wheelchair if you struggle to walk or you’re disabled. You can go into and around many shops and buildings in a wheelchair.
Choosing a wheelchair
You can get manual or electric wheelchairs.
When you’re looking at wheelchairs, think about:
- Whether you’re going to be pushing yourself or pushed by someone else.
- How often you need to use it.
- Whether you need to use it indoors or outdoors, or both.
- Whether it needs to go into a care home.
- How comfortable it is.
- How much it costs to maintain and repair.
- Ask to try different types of wheelchair before you make your decision.
Mobility scooters can be useful if you struggle to walk or are disabled, need to travel long distances, and are able to get on and off a mobility scooter easily.
Choosing a scooter
You should think about:
- How often you need to use a scooter
- What you need it for (roads or pavements)
- Whether it needs to go in a car
- Where you’ll store your scooter
- How much it costs to maintain and repair
- Whether you’ll be able to steer it (some have special levers to steer them if you have arthritis in your hands)
Ask to try different types before you make your decision.
Which? has advice on choosing a mobility scooter.
The Research Institute for Disabled Consumers has advice on choosing a mobility scooter.
Here’s a tip for you to try this week :
Assess where there is difficulty and look into purchasing aids directly, Speak to your GP or occupational therapist for a wheelchair or needs assessment, Speak to Motability for advice. There are aids for mobility available such as wheelchairs, scooters or walkers that may be appropriate that they can provide if you meet requirements ,
You can visit the Bridgit Shop at anytime to find our what products and services can support you.